Tuesday, April 24, 2007

stocksdale park IV



Here is another frame from Stocksdale Park (other frames can be found in this gallery).

This was a striking find for me. As I walked along the woodland path I spotted this crazy old tree, going off in a dozen directions. I was immediately attuned to its freeness, its lack of inhibition (if a tree has that sort of thing). It was riveting to look at, and I found myself staring at it for a few minutes before I thought about how to capture it in a frame.

But I didn't spot it alone - when I saw it, it was framed by the two straighter trees on either side. I'm not sure if those trees are "attempting to hide" it, or if they are "providing a safe space" for it. All I know is that the tree could not be shot on its own - it had to be shot "in community," so to speak.

Not to read too much into it (but I am a pastor, you know), but isn't that the way it should be? When we are a little crazy, there should be others there "framing us." And when we are "straighter" or "more usual" we should provide a place and contrast in which to show off the eclectic nature of others.

Hmm... I'll stick to theology.

2 comments:

TheMilesFam said...

I really like the rain at Stocksdale Park ones! Those are fantastic...love you! :) Glad to see your new shots.

~ courtney ~ said...

That's some great stuff right there, brother ... the framing of the shot and the thought. :) love -