Wednesday, March 7, 2007

trees on hospital hill



I went out for a landscape shoot today, and returned with four really pleasing (to me anyway!) images of trees. I had recently read an article about Paul Kozal which had some stunning shots of fog laden treescapes that I felt inspired by. As I was driving past the hospital here in Liberty, I saw four trees and a stump up on the ridge line and knew that this was my chance to work out my own vision of trees.

I did not even come close to Kozal's style, and that's okay wih me. First of all, he usually shoots in foggy weather and today was the brightest that ol' Mizzou has been for a while. Second, Kozal echos the pictoralists and I am more of a "straight photography" guy (think Ansel Adams and Edward Weston). His shots are so dense and textured. I preferred a more airy feeling. But the guy is a great eye, and I'm glad his work has pushed me a bit.

I'm very partial to this one, called hospital hill I. I liked the composition when I was standing on the side of the road, but I liked it even more when I got home and looked at it on the computer. I hadn't noticed the birds when I hit the shutter release. What a stroke of luck!

Anyway, if you want to see the other three in the series, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I like hospital hill II better. I happen to come across your pics a few weeks ago and have been checking the often. I love the nature works. They are truely amazing.

Landon Whitsitt said...

Thanks so much for that great compliment. I've felt like I've been streching my legs with the nature shots. they're getting more and more comfortable.

You're encouragement helps!