Friday, March 30, 2007

crazy harry's fireworks



I spotted this gem yesterday while taking the boys to the park. I wanted to stop then, but I didn't want to be that guy encouraging his kids to "go play in that parking lot over there while Daddy takes some pictures." Sans children, this was a great place to shoot some frames.

I tried not to mess with it too much. As I look at photo magazines/blogs/online galleries, I continue to notice that the great photographers I like are not afraid of middle greys. I have usually leaned towards high contrast. I had felt like that was the best way to grab detail out of the frame, and make it pop. Crazy Harry's Fireworks has given me an opportunity to work on getting comfortable with letting the middle tones be middle tones, as well as letting them speak for themselves.

I also shot the following frame, an excavated area behind Crazy Harry's.



I'm not sure what I think of it. I've decided I want to branch out in my composition of the "tree portraits" I've been shooting by adding other elements to the mix besides the sky. The excavated wall was the original reason I wanted to shoot Crazy Harry's Fireworks, but I wasn't able to frame a shot that I liked with both elements included.

What do you think? Would this hang well with the other tree portraits I've been shooting?

4 comments:

jade_94 said...

You have some really amazing tree and landscape shots... Along ridge ave, 291-s, Stockdale, and my fav Ruth Ewing rd. I don't know that this shot is in the same class as the others. Although I really like the crazy harry shot it's self. That is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Landon Whitsitt said...

Now that I re-read my post, I can see that I've been totally unclear as to which photo I was asking for feedback on! Doh!

Yeah, Crazy Harry's Fireworks would not go well with the landscape stuff. You're right - not the same at all.

But you implicitly answered my question about Along 291-S by placing it in your list, which was the photo I intended to solicit feedback on.

Given that, let me ask this: Is Along 291-S too "complicated" (to the point where it's muddled), or is it just more complex and I'm noticing that there aren't any others like it because its my first attempt to branch out and I need to chill out about it? (Boy, that was long, wasn't it? Hello, bad writing!)

LaLaLouie said...

Love it....it is good with the other trees...just keep doing some other tree shots so that this one isn't a stand alone.

Landon Whitsitt said...

I think you're right - rounding out the new trajectory will certainly help. Thanks for encouraging patience.